This page contains resources related to military families impacted by disabilities, chronic medical conditions, or who require complex medical care, generally known as Exceptional Family Members. Please share this page with other families you know, your providers, and your chain of command so that all can better understand the issues involved.
The most important thing to understand is that you are not alone in advocating and caring for your child. The second most important thing to understand is that, while there have been some improvements to the systems that support our families, there is much more work left to accomplish. We need you to share this information and be a voice for both this generation of military families as well as the generations that come after us.
While there are a number of downloadable documents available here which are very useful, below you will find specific links to additional information I hope will be helpful. If you come across additional content you think would be helpful to other families, use the website contact button to alert us.
- Military One Source
- Military Parent Technical Assistance Center (MPTAC)
- Military Special Needs Network
- American Military Families Autism Support
- NIH Conference “Military-Connected Children with Special Health Care Needs”
- June 2012 Senate Armed Services Committee Hearing: “Military Families with Special Needs”
- Children With Medical Complexity
2013: Does Tricare care?